Our hiring process
Find the right opportunity
Our site offers two ways to search openings:
- Consider your skills and background. Explore your interests in our career field overviews.
- Search for job openings by location.
Shape your resume
Here are a few tips to craft a competitive resume:
- Use the job description to highlight your relevant skills, experience or research.
- Emphasize the outcome(s) of the work or projects you’ve contributed to. What impact did you make?
- Tell us specifics about your work. What was the significance of your research? How many people did you manage on your team? What was the scope of your project?
- Recent graduates and students working towards completing degrees are encouraged to include college / university coursework or projects that establish your qualifications.
- Brief is best. Use your resume or CV to focus on major accomplishments and qualifications.
Next steps: resume review
Our application questions and job descriptions are designed to help us identify individuals who have the basic qualifications for our job postings. Typically, we contact the most qualified candidates for an interview within 2 to 8 weeks (however, some hiring programs may have a longer time frame). If you are selected for an interview, we may contact you to provide more information through our careers site. Be sure to check your inbox to ensure that emails from ExxonMobil Career Connect are not being sent to your spam / junk folder.
For some positions, a preliminary assessment is required. This may include language, mechanical, technical, and analytical aptitude assessments, depending on position and location. If an assessment is required, you’ll be contacted by email after the initial resume screen. The email will include the details and next steps for completing the assessment.
The interview will allow you to meet our recruiting teams and learn more about our company as we get to know you better. Our recruiting team will contact you (either by email or by phone) to communicate the specifics of your interview(s). Be sure to check your inbox to ensure that emails from ExxonMobil Career Connect are not being sent to your spam / junk folder. The details will include the location, how to access our secured sites, what to wear and the format of the interviews. You’ll know what to expect in advance.
You may participate in multiple interviews as part of the process. Here are a few of the most common:
- Preliminary phone or Skype interview: For many positions, we will first contact you by phone to gauge your interest and get a better sense of your qualifications. In some cases, we will also include a Skype interview. If your preliminary interview goes well, we typically invite you to an in-person interview.
- On-campus interviews: Our recruiting teams visit college and university campuses to find students who are interested in co-ops, internships, apprenticeships and permanent positions. Students interviewed at this stage may be referred to one or more business lines for consideration.
- Technical interviews: Our typical on-site interview contains technical questions that help us to assess your familiarity with problem-solving in your given field. Be prepared to explain how you approach problems and arrive at solutions.
- Collaboration and leadership interviews: We seek to understand your ability to work in teams and across disciplines. We ask questions that help you share your actions, responsibilities and results in different circumstances.
- Research interviews: You may be asked to present your research or thesis to a panel of experienced researchers. Be prepared to cite your research methods and findings and answer questions about your work.
We encourage you to ask questions during your interview to learn more about ExxonMobil careers as we learn more about you and your qualifications.
The offer: what to expect
Typically our candidates meet with multiple interviewers and managers during on-site interviews. As a group, they will review your resume and interview results and make a recommendation to management. A manager will review and confirm the hiring decision, and your formal offer will be extended. Timing of offers and next steps will vary by position and location.