Qua Iboe

Production and handling

Qua Iboe crude oil is produced from numerous offshore fields in the Bight of Biafra in southeastern Nigeria, east of the Oso field. The crude, from fields 20 to 40 miles offshore from Nigeria's South Eastern region, are brought to shore via a seabed pipeline system to the Qua Iboe terminal (QIT). 

Production currently averages approximately 320kbd. ExxonMobil, as field operator, holds 40% interest in the field production mix with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) having the remaining 60%. 

Load Port Data

Qua Iboe Terminal (4° 20'N, 7° 59'E) is located on the eastern side of the Qua Iboe river estuary and contains nine crude oil storage tanks with a total capacity of 4.5 million bbls. Vessels are loaded through an SPM (single point mooring) 23 miles offshore which can accommodate ships up to 312,000 DWT, a 345,000 MT displacement limit and BCM equal to 175 meters maximum. Maximum draft at both berths is 72 feet. Qua Iboe crude oil parcel sizes are normally about 950,000 barrels, but up to two million barrels can be loaded. Maxium loading rate is approximately 50,000 barrels per hour through a 42-inch loading line to the SPM.

Qua Iboe terminal restrictions

  • DWT: 312,000 MTS
  • Maximum draft: 21.90 M
  • Maximum LOA: 342 M


Light crude containing very low levels of sulfur, metals and asphaltic material; when refined will provide similar low sulfur specification products. A well-balanced intermediate crude that produces high quality, low sulfur products after simple refining. The naphtha produced can be reformed to produced high octane gasoline blendstock.

  • Gravity 37.6
  • Sulfur 0.10%
  • Load port Qua Iboe

Qua Iboe terminal has stopped adding pour point depressant (PPD). Customers can make a special request for addition of PPD, at a charge, but the terminal must receive instructions to do so three weeks prior to the supply laydays.


The materials contained in this website are provided to you courtesy of ExxonMobil and are based on a range of data and information. While care has been taken in preparing the materials, ExxonMobil makes no representations, warranties or guarantees as to their accuracy, reliability, quality, correctness or completeness. Each user must make its own determination and judgment on applying any information in this assay. Any and all use of this information shall be the sole responsibility of the user, and the user releases ExxonMobil and its affiliates from any and all claims arising from its use and shall defend and hold ExxonMobil and its affiliates harmless from any third-party claims arising from the user's application or use of any part of the materials.

Related content

The fundamentals of fuel prices and supply

The fundamentals of fuel prices and supply

We’re all hearing about high fuel prices, and some are calling on energy companies like ExxonMobil to increase production to help ease pain at the pump. We know high prices are having a real impact on families everywhere – no one wants to pay more to get themselves to work or their kids to school.
ExxonMobil Hadrian oil rig.

Crude oils by region

A list of crude oil by geographic location.