Article Nov. 13, 2019
Local content efforts
Using a multi-tiered approach, we focus on building workforce and supplier capabilities in conjunction with strategic investments in the local community. At ExxonMobil Guyana, this approach is called Local Content.
Article Nov. 13, 2019
Local content efforts
The employment of Nationals is key to ExxonMobil Guyana’s strategy of local content development.
Our strategy to develop a diverse and talented workforce has two components; the recruitment and development of Guyanese personnel who can play a role in our local operations, and the development of a global pool of talent capable of meeting our future business needs wherever we operate.
We apply global principles, proven training curriculum, best practices, operational excellence and leading technology to local challenges when developing our workforce. The company understands the importance of career development for our employees. We provide assignments and training to create the experience and develop the skills needed to enable employees to have rewarding careers.
Global operations skills training for employees includes:
- Ethical business conduct
- Safety, security, health and environment
- Leadership and management programs
- Fundamentals of oil and gas
- Technical training
- Design- and facility-specific vendor training
In conjunction with our Prime Contractors, we are providing Guyanese personnel with technical and professional skills they need for existing and future operations.
Local suppliers are strategically important to the success of our operations. We are committed to working with them, and other stakeholders, to develop local companies and a competitive industrial base.
ExxonMobil Guyana has established the Centre for Local Business Development. The Centre provides a space for local firms to learn about opportunities in the oil and gas sector, strengthen their competitiveness, and prepare to supply the oil and gas sector with various services. They maintain an interactive database which is used by our Prime Contractors to post tendering opportunities and to identify possible suppliers, contractors and subcontractors to potentially participate in ExxonMobil Guyana activities. The Centre is also utilized by international companies looking for potential local partnerships.
ExxonMobil Guyana will favor suppliers and contractors that are able to effectively support the following project objectives, in order of priority:
- Safety and health: Provide for the safety and health of all personnel involved in the Project and the safe operation of the completed facilities to achieve zero lost-time incidents.
- Environmental and regulatory compliance: Conduct all activities and operations in full compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Quality: Ensure that quality during design, engineering, fabrication and construction is consistent with best international petroleum industry practices and applicable standards.
- Maximize effectiveness and control cost: Commitment to the success of the Project by optimizing investment and operating cost while maximizing and accelerating revenue.
- Business practices: Comply with generally recognized business standards, and exhibit fairness and consistency in contractor selection, bid evaluation and contract award process.
- Achieve scheduled completion: Opportunities to capture and retain schedule advantage.
To express interest in potentially becoming a supplier click here to register.
Careers at ExxonMobil GuyanaWe’re committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion. Our intent is to reach out to a diverse pool of highly qualified employment candidates who are dedicated to integrity, high-quality work and good corporate citizenship.
Guyana project overviewExxonMobil initiated oil and gas exploration activities in Guyana in 2008, collecting and evaluating substantial 3-D seismic data that led to the company safely drilling its first exploration well in 2015, Liza-1.
Community and social responsibility in Guyana
At ExxonMobil, we seek to contribute to the social and economic progress of the country and local communities where we operate. We believe that maintaining a fundamental respect for human rights, responsibly managing our impacts on communities and making valued social investments are integral to the success and sustainability of our business.
Environmental efforts in Guyana
ExxonMobil’s commitment to operating in an environmentally responsible manner is highlighted through our Corporate Environment Policy - Protect Tomorrow. Today.