Thunder Horse

Production and handling

The Thunder Horse field is located in Mississippi Canyon Blocks 776, 777 and 778, in the Boarshead Basin, 125 miles SE of New Orleans. Thunder Horse is one of the largest discoveries in the Gulf of Mexico and lies at a water depth of 6,000 feet. BP is the operator of the project with 75% equity interest and the remaining 25% is owned by ExxonMobil. Thunder Horse is designed to process up to about 250 kbd and 200M cfd of gas. 

Load Port Data

Thunder Horse is brought ashore on the Louisiana coast. Two segments of the Mardi Gras Transportation System transport Thunder Horse oil production to the market. Proteus Oil Pipeline extends 70 miles from the Thunder Horse platform to a booster station platform installed on South Pass Block 89. From there, Proteus connects to Endymion Oil Pipeline where it connects with the Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP) storage and offloading facilities. LOOP has dedicated storage to hold approximately 1.8 million barrels of Thunder Horse crude where it can be transported to the refineries in Louisiana , Texas , the midcontinent and the Midwest through connecting lines via the Locap, Equilon, Norco and CAM systems.


  • Gravity 31.7
  • Sulfur 1.13%
  • Load port N/A


The materials contained in this website are provided to you courtesy of ExxonMobil and are based on a range of data and information. While care has been taken in preparing the materials, ExxonMobil makes no representations, warranties or guarantees as to their accuracy, reliability, quality, correctness or completeness. Each user must make its own determination and judgment on applying any information in this assay. Any and all use of this information shall be the sole responsibility of the user, and the user releases ExxonMobil and its affiliates from any and all claims arising from its use and shall defend and hold ExxonMobil and its affiliates harmless from any third-party claims arising from the user's application or use of any part of the materials.

Related content

The fundamentals of fuel prices and supply

The fundamentals of fuel prices and supply

We’re all hearing about high fuel prices, and some are calling on energy companies like ExxonMobil to increase production to help ease pain at the pump. We know high prices are having a real impact on families everywhere – no one wants to pay more to get themselves to work or their kids to school.
ExxonMobil Hadrian oil rig.

Crude oils by region

A list of crude oil by geographic location.