Article Aug. 22, 2016
Safety in Finland Oy Ab operations
OIMS (Operations Integrity Management System)
ExxonMobil is committed to integrating environmental protection and the needs of the economy in its business everywhere it operates. This, along with the protection of health and safety of our employees, partners, customers and the general public is recorded in our Code of Conduct.
To comply with the provisions of our Code of Conduct, our parent company has created a safety, health and environmental matters management system, OIMS, which meets and exceeds the ISO 14001 standard requirements.
OIMS consists of 11 elements:
- Management commitment and responsibility
- Risk assessment and management
- Facilities design and construction
- Production equipment - Access to information/documents
- Personnel and training
- Operations and maintenance
- Management of change
- Third-party services
- Accident investigation and analysis
- Social responsibility and emergency preparedness
- OIMS evaluation and improvement
Each business unit (function) has developed their own operation management systems based on these systems. Management systems include the following parts:
- Scope and goals
- Responsible persons
- Inspection and measurement
- Feedback mechanism
Occupational Health and Safety
It is the policy of the company to operate in a manner that protects the safety of the staff, other people involved in its activities, the customers and the general public. The company aims to prevent all accidents, injuries and occupational diseases by encouraging the entire staff to actively participate in activities promoting safety. The company also strives to identify and remove safety risks associated with its operations.
Our central principle in the SHE (Safety, Health and Environment) programs is the integration of SHE measures, training and exercises as part of everyday activities. Thanks to long-term safety work, the frequency and severity of injuries has fallen permanently to a low level, and our goal is to continue injury-free operations.
The Alerta system has helped us to focus on human factors and the guidance of human behavior. By using the tools of the system, we can identify preemptively the factors in work performance that may increase the risk of accident. A central part of this work is based on the skill level of the people doing the actual work, their commitment and improving work methods.
Occupational Health and Safety Principles
To further its occupational health and safety principles, the company:
- designs equipment, develops practices, provides training and guides its operations in a manner that protects employees, property and the work environment
- acts quickly, effectively and with care in cooperation with the industry organizations or public authorities in accidents resulting from its activity
- observes all the applicable regulations as well as its own standards where such regulations do not exist
- acts in cooperation with public authorities and other entities to develop regulations and standards, taking into account research results and rational assessment of risk factors
- supports research to inform about the safety impact of its raw materials, activities and products; implements significant research findings and communicates these to employees, customers, other companies in the industry, public authorities and the general public
- emphasizes to all employees their responsibility for safety
- evaluates the company’s operations to ensure its development and the adherence to these principles.
It is the policy of ExxonMobil Finland Oy Ab to:
- determine and manage risks associated with the company’s products and to produce and sell products that meet the relevant requirements set for them, while having regard for the safety of the environment and the people.
- provide instructions about the handling, use, transport and destruction of the company’s products, as well as to communicate the instructions to customers and other people who need to know about them
- observe all laws and regulations as well as standards where official regulations do not exist
- work with public authorities and other entities to develop appropriate regulations and standards based on risk and in-depth scientific research work
- take into account and identify any adverse health and safety effects in the design and development of products
- support research activities concerning information about health, safety and the environmental concerns related to the company’s products, to apply such new information and to share the results in a proper manner with the company employees, contracting partners, customers, scientific communities, public authorities and the general public
- carry out necessary analyses to measure the development of the company’s operations and to ensure the adherence to the policies.
Safety data reports are available for review.
Occupational Health and Safety
It is the policy of ExxonMobil Finland Oy Ab, among other things:
- to evaluate possible health risks associated with its operations that could have an impact on employees, contracting partners or others
- to carry out programs and measures preventing risk factors and protecting employees’ health
- to inform appropriate employees and public authorities about risk factors that have been identified, as needed
- to provide identification and treatment of work-related illnesses and occupational diseases
- to act in cooperation with public authorities in the development of laws and regulations and standards, taking into account research results and a rational evaluation of risk factors
- to evaluate the company’s operations to ensure its development and the adherence to these principles.
To further these policies, the company supports programs that develop employees’ fitness, suitability for work, and personal safety.
Finland Article • July 14, 2020
Finland Article • Aug. 22, 2016