Known for its healthy mix of retail, office, industrial and residential property, the City of Torrance is one of the most desirable locations in Southern California. As part of this vibrant community, the refinery understands that building and maintaining good relationships with our neighbors is a priority.
Those of us at the Torrance Refinery understand the importance of involvement in the community and we are committed to making a positive contribution to the quality of life for our neighbors. The refinery is involved in a variety of community activities that provide interaction with a broad spectrum of Torrance citizens, including youth, teachers, city leaders and refinery neighbors. Our goal is to be the best neighbor we can be.
The Torrance Refinery strives to keep lines of communication open with our neighbors. Through various avenues, ExxonMobil continually looks for ways to obtain feedback from the community and provide awareness about what we do. Some of these activities include:
- Community Advisory Panel: A Community Advisory Panel, made up of residential neighbors and business representatives, keeps refinery management informed of community issues in order to enhance understanding.
- Neighbor to Neighbor: A community newsletter published and distributed to all Torrance business and residential addresses keeps citizens informed of refinery activities and features Torrance people and events. Visit our publications section for copies of the newsletter.
- Educational Outreach: Growing Our Most Valuable Resource: Recognizing that today's youth are tomorrow's leaders and future workforce, the refinery is focused on involvement and support of the educational community; in particular, science, technology, engineering and mathematics initiatives.
- Youth Development Program: A summer STEM youth employment program for high school students in the City of Torrance, the Youth Development Program provides job training and career planning, as well as a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) educational component, to introduce STEM-related career opportunities. Funded by an annual grant of $50,000 from the ExxonMobil Foundation, the program enables students to work in various offices at the City of Torrance and Torrance Unified School District to develop new skills while earning a paycheck.
- Torrance Education Foundation (TEF): Each year TEF awards scholarships through an endowment funded by ExxonMobil to graduating seniors from Torrance high schools who wish to pursue academic careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics related fields. Visit the TEF website for more information.
- ExxonMobil STEM Awards is funded by an annual grant of $100,000 from the ExxonMobil Foundation. It provides teachers in the Torrance Unified School District (TUSD) with the opportunity to pioneer new programs and enhance their classroom curriculum to create enthusiasm and energize their student's learning experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
We encourage all TUSD teachers to apply by downloading the 2015-2016 application form and guidelines.
- Connecting at All Levels: Whether contributing to local community groups, participating in local science fairs, or attending community forums to speak face-to-face with residents, employees at the Torrance Refinery are committed to connecting with their neighbors. Maintaining a strong link with the community is just as important to ExxonMobil as the process of refining oil. A neighbor for more than 83 years, the refinery is proud of its longstanding history in the city and will continue in its efforts to be an upstanding neighbor and community member.