The main complex covers five square miles, and includes a refinery, two chemical plants, a regional engineering office and a global technology center. A plastics plant is located in Mont Belvieu.
A few facts on our facilities:
- The Baytown Refinery has been in operation since 1920, and at that time, processed about 10,000 barrels of crude oil per day. Today, we have the capability to process up to 584,000 barrels per day.
- The Baytown Chemical Plant began operations in 1940. It produces products such as the butyl in your tires and the polypropylene in your car bumper.
- The Baytown Olefins Plant began operations in 1979 and is one of the largest ethylene plants in the world.
- The Mont Belvieu Plastics Plant is located 13 miles northeast of the main complex and was built in 1982. It produces high and low density polyethylene, which goes into products such as grocery bags and packaging films.
- The Baytown Technology & Engineering Complex has been on-site since the 1920s. It is now the headquarters for ExxonMobil Chemical Technology and is home to our research and development activities in Baytown. This site has produced innovative technology, such as the lithium-ion battery separator film and numerous plastics light-weighting technologies that help make our vehicles more fuel efficient.
The sites in the Baytown area are highly integrated – working together to make the plants and products more efficient. In addition, we are developing technologies to make cleaner fuels and are working hard to operate more safely and reliably than ever before.