We place a great emphasis on training for effective response and the Baton Rouge area Emergency Response Organization consists of the following groups:
• Plant Superintendents – manage emergency operations
• All unit personnel – trained in handling emergencies
• Primary Fire Squad – handles fires in early stages
• Volunteer Fire Brigade – responds if more help is needed
• Rescue Squad – provides rescue in elevated areas and confined space. The team participates in the National Industrial Rescue Training Competition and other national competitions each year.
• Emergency Medical Team (EMT) – provides immediate life support
• Chemical Network Response Team (CHEMNET) – provides hazardous materials response
• Emergency Local Interfunctional Response Team (ELIRT) – handles oil spills
To sharpen professional skills, we annually conduct simulated emergencies and also participate in training provided by the Local Emergency Planning Committee and the Baton Rouge area Mutual Aid System.