In addition, we annually donate nearly $1.4 million to United Way, almost $1 million to non-profits and schools and about $1.1 million to Louisiana colleges and universities. Our focus areas are education, workforce development and neighborhood programs.
Some of the education programs we support in the area include:
- Ambassador Activities: Employees work with area schools to provide assistance with mentoring, tutoring and hands-on classroom learning activities
- NMSI Laying the Foundation Program: More than 350 East Baton Rouge Parish School System (EBRPSS) middle and high school teachers received extensive professional development training in math, science and English instructional strategies in 2015, thanks to a grant from ExxonMobil to the Foundation for East Baton Rouge School System.
- Engineering Day at LASM: ExxonMobil sponsors this free community event designed to introduce the field of engineering to students. Employees host demonstrations and provide information about the field.
- Science Quest at Southern University: Employee volunteers host partner school students for hands on science competitions in a university setting.
- Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day: Employee volunteers host female fourth, eighth and tenth grade students for a hands-on engineering competition.
ExxonMobil is the largest manufacturing employer in Louisiana. We provide nearly 7,000 employee and contractor jobs and support nearly 27,000 jobs for East Baton Rouge (EBR) parish residents. That amounts to about one out of every eight jobs in EBR. ExxonMobil pays more than $100 million in total taxes annually and the annual payroll is nearly $500 million. We have reinvested $1 billion locally over past three years in operational improvements. Also, we have paid more than $33 million in East Baton Rouge (EBR) property taxes in 2015 – which is almost 8 percent of all EBR property taxes collected.