1939: ExxonMobil in Abu Dhabi
Petroleum Development (Trucial Coast), or PD(TC), a subsidiary of the Iraq Petroleum Company, signed a 75-year concession agreement with the Ruler of Abu Dhabi which covered the whole of the emirate’s land area and part of the offshore.
1960s: ExxonMobil in Abu Dhabi
- In 1960, PD(TC) made its first commercial discovery at Murban (now called Bab), followed by finds at Bu Hasa in 1962, Asab in 1965, and Sahil in 1972.
- In 1962, PD(TC), changed its name to Abu Dhabi Petroleum Company (ADPC), which still today is the company through which ExxonMobil holds the interest in the onshore concession.
- Field processing facilities were constructed and a 112 km pipeline was built to the coast at Jebel Dhanna, from where the first cargo of about 240 thousand barrels of crude oil from Bab was exported on the “Esso Dublin” tanker in December 1963.
2006 to present: ExxonMobil in Abu Dhabi
To support a major planned expansion of the upper Zakum field, the Supreme Petroleum Council invited international companies to submit bids for joining upper Zakum/ZADCO. ExxonMobil Abu Dhabi Offshore Petroleum Limited was the successful bidder and acquired a 28 percent participating interest from ADNOC.
- Major field redevelopment/expansion ongoing based on artificial islands and extended reach drilling.