ExxonMobil has had a continuous business presence in Russia for more than 20 years across upstream, downstream and chemical operations. Our upstream offices are located in Moscow and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, and our downstream offices are located in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk and Vladivostok. We have a strong upstream presence in Russia as operator of the Sakhalin-1 project.
Strategic cooperation agreement with Rosneft
The August 2011, Rosneft and ExxonMobil strategic cooperation agreement includes joint exploration and production of oil in Russia, the United States and other parts of the world, and also sharing technology and expertise. In April 2012, Rosneft and ExxonMobil signed agreements to implement a series of multibillion-dollar exploration projects established under the strategic cooperation agreement; and, in June 2012, Rosneft and ExxonMobil signed agreements to progress the development of tight oil in western Siberia and jointly participate in an arctic research center to support Rosneft-ExxonMobil joint projects in Russia.
Rosneft and ExxonMobil expanded the strategic cooperation in February 2013 by adding seven arctic license areas covering approximately 600,000 square kilometers (150 million acres) in the Chukchi, Laptev and Kara Seas. The companies agreed to jointly study potential for a liquefied natural gas project in the Russian Far East.
In March 2013, ExxonMobil and Rosneft’s subsidiary, Neftegaz America Shelf LP, signed a subsequent agreement under which Neftegaz America Shelf LP acquired a 30 percent interest in 20 Gulf of Mexico blocks held by ExxonMobil, joining ExxonMobil in exploring deepwater Gulf of Mexico. In September 2013, Rosneft and ExxonMobil selected contractors for initial phase engineering and design for Russian Far East LNG project.
Our commitment to corporate citizenship in Russia
- More than US$220 million in contributions have been provided for Sakhalin and Khabarovsk Krai infrastructure improvements that benefit local communities, including hospitals and clinics, roads, bridges, harbors, airports, and power and water facilities.
- More than US$ 20.5 million in charitable contributions have been provided to local community organizations (education, health, youth, and arts and civic projects).
- More than 2,500 orphaned children and orphanage graduates are supported through Nadezhda (Hope) Charity Foundation programs near Moscow.
- Come In youth centers in Krasnodar Krai offer activities for local youth including educational programs focused on healthy lifestyles and the prevention of HIV and substance abuse.
- The Downside Up Foundation provides support to families raising children with Down Syndrome.
- Educational grants are provided to the European University of St. Petersburg Department of Economics since 2009.
Exxon Mobil Corporation has numerous affiliates, with many names that include ExxonMobil, Exxon, Mobil, Esso and XTO. For convenience and simplicity those terms and terms such as Corporation, company, our, we and its are sometimes used as abbreviated references to specific affiliates or affiliate groups.