A Caring Company
In doing business in Hong Kong, as anywhere in the world, we uphold the fine tradition of promoting corporate citizenship and community caring. We are dedicated to creating positive change to the Hong Kong community while offering a wide range of quality fuel and petrochemical products and services. We work closely with local NGOs and community groups to devise programs that will have a meaningful impact on the community. We actively support and participate in local community activities, particularly in the areas of community safety and well-being, youth development, and environmental protection.
Since 2006, ExxonMobil Hong Kong Limited has been named a “Caring Company” by the Hong Kong Council of Social Service in recognition of our enduring efforts and commitment to corporate citizenship.
Fostering youth development
We invest in education programs that focus on inspiring students to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), including programs that support teacher development and training.
In Hong Kong, we have worked with local NGOs and education institutions to develop various educational programs on STEM. For example, we support Junior Achievement Hong Kong and Hong Kong University of Science & Technology to organize an engineering discovery program, through which secondary school students can explore engineering concepts and applications through various hands-on workshops.
We also contribute to capacity building of young people through programs that help them develop personal values, unleash potential, and pursue aspirations. Major initiatives in recent years include:
- “Business Ethics” Program organized by Junior Achievement Hong Kong with our support, to help young people expand their exposure to ethical decision making and develop their personal ethical values. Since its launch in 2005, the program has benefited more than 4,000 post-secondary and university students;
- Job shadowing programs and visits to our office and facilities for secondary and tertiary students. Through these learning-by-doing training, participating students can learn about daily work at an energy company. Our partners included Junior Achievement Hong Kong, Education Bureau and Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce;
- Leadership and career seminars for secondary and tertiary students we organized in collaboration with NGOs and education institutions.
Promoting safety and health
Safety is more than just a priority at ExxonMobil – it is a core value and an integral part of our culture. Protecting the safety and health of our workforce is fundamental to our business.
In Hong Kong, our oil terminals in Tsing Yi have achieved an outstanding safety record with zero lost time incident since December 1997.
We not only put strong emphasis on the safety and health at our workplace, but also actively promote this core value to the wider public. For example:
- We heighten road safety awareness among road users in partnership with Kwai Tsing District Council since 2000;
- We promote healthy lifestyles in the community by sponsoring the annual health walkathon (pictured below) organized by Kwai Tsing District Council;
- We promote the importance of safety and share our best practices with students through safety and health workshops organized by Junior Achievement Hong Kong and Hong Kong Occupational Safety and Health Council;
- We promote welfare and community well-being through organizing or supporting various community programs for the underprivileged.
Protecting the environment
In addition to our steadfast commitment to environmental protection and stewardship in our operations, we support and engage in various initiatives that promote energy efficiency and environmental care in the community.
- We participate in environmental and fundraising programs organized by green groups (pictured below).
- We provide support and sponsorship for local think tank and other NGOs to conduct research on environmental policy and energy related topics.
- We collaborate with local schools and universities to promote energy and environmental studies through education programs.