History of the ExxonMobil Group in Brazil
Authorized to set up operations in Brazil by a Decree issued by President Hermes da Fonseca, signed on January 17, 1912, ExxonMobil—under the name Standard Oil Company of Brazil—was a precursor in the distribution of oil products, such as gasoline and kerosene, sold in drums and cans.
ExxonMobil has lived a century-long history in Brazil with several other pioneering initiatives, such as the installation of the first gas pumps on public roads; the construction of the first tanker car and the country's first tanker truck; the fueling of the first aircrafts for Brazilian commercial aviation; sponsorship of the news that has become the standard in Brazil, the “Repórter Esso;” the creation of the “Prêmio Esso de Jornalismo” (Esso Journalism Award)—later known as the ExxonMobil Journalism Award.
ExxonMobil was a pioneer in the implementation of a single Order Service Center, in the launching of the first alcohol additive in Brazil, Maxxi Álcool; in the launching of the first premium gasoline additive in the country, EssoMaxxi Gold; and in the third generation of gasoline additives, Nova Maxxi; in the launch of the “Esso Guaranteed Gasoline” programs—a thorough and certified process that ensures the quality of the gas sold at participating stations—in the placement on the market of a complete international line of lubricants with Mobil 1 and Esso Ultron synthetic oils, the most advanced lubricants in the world; and in the application of the Quality Control and Training program for service stations.
The merger of two large oil companies, Exxon and Mobil, in 2000, resulted in the creation of Exxon Mobil Corporation, the number 1 private global company in the oil and petrochemical business, bringing together a significant number of the best human and technological resources.