As the world’s largest publicly held oil and natural gas company, ExxonMobil uses technology and innovation to safely and responsibly deliver the energy and products the world needs. Every day, our employees work diligently to address the challenges of meeting growing global energy demand. In 2016, ExxonMobil supplied about 1.5 percent of the world's energy demand, equivalent to about 10 percent of U.S. energy demand. The reliable and affordable energy we supply is vital to fueling economic activity and helping improve the living standards of people around the world.
As we make significant investments around the world to help meet the world’s growing energy needs, we also invest in the communities in which we work. In 2016, we contributed $242 million to communities around the world.
ExxonMobil has a diverse portfolio of high-quality assets, projects and resources across our Upstream, Downstream and Chemical businesses. Our technical expertise, global reach and integrated business model provide ExxonMobil with a competitive advantage. Our flexibility and focus on fundamentals enable us to deliver value irrespective of the industry environment.
In 2016, we continued to demonstrate strong financial and operating performance across our business despite very challenging industry conditions:
- Achieved earnings of $7.8 billion and return on average capital employed of 3.9 percent.
- Spent $19.3 billion on capital and exploration expenditures.
- Completed five major Upstream projects with a working interest production capacity of almost 250 thousand oil-equivalent barrels per day.
- Made significant oil discoveries offshore Nigeria and Guyana, and a gas discovery onshore Papua New Guinea.
- Progressed construction of a new hydrocracker project at our refinery in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Advanced construction of a world-scale specialty polymers facility in Singapore that will produce halobutyl rubber and performance resins.
For more in-depth analysis of our financial performance and investment decisions, see our 2016 Summary Annual Report and 2016 Financial and Operating Review.